What is the Practical Test?
The practical road test is your chance to prove thatyou have the skills and knowledge to be a safe and effective driver in Ontario. To get your G drivers licence, you will be required to complete two in car driving tests – G1 Exit Test and G2 Exit Test. You must successfully pass both tests within 5 years of getting your G1 written test.
About Practical Road Tests
The road test is straight forward and is conducted by a Drive Test examiner. During the test you will be instructed to perform a number of driving tasks that will display driving your skills and knowledge. The G1 Exit test includes residential and city road driving. The G2 Exit test also includes highways driving.
- What you're tested on: The road test is your opportunity to show you can drive competently and safely. The instructor will request that you complete a series of driving manoeuvres.
- About your test car: You must have a reliable vehicle that meets the minimum standards of the MTO. If you require a vehicle for your test, CADD would be happy to rent you one of our driving instruction vehicles for your road test.
If your car doesn't meet the MTO standard, the test will be cancelled and you'll lose your test fee.
Preparing for your Practical Test
Being as prepared as possible is the key to passing your road test. CADD will provide you with all the knowledge you need to pass with ease. Our in car driving lessons are designed to help you progress each and every time you get in the car. Your in-vehicle log sheet keeps tabs on your progress – showing you where your strengths are and what skills you'll need to brush up on. Our instructors will use these driving logs to cater your driving lessons to your specific needs, ensuring you are ready when it's time to take your road test.
Take a Mock Practical Test
At CADD, our mock test is designed to be exactly the same format as the real thing – think of it as a trial run. This is the perfect opportunity to eliminate the stress and worries you may have about your upcoming road test. It's also your opportunity to ask questions and work out the bugs before the road test.
Tips for Passing your Road Test
Here are some useful tips to help you prepare and pass your road test:
- Book your road test when you are confident that you have the skills and knowledge to pass
- Re read the driver hand book and driver training materials prior to the test
- Make sure your vehicle meets all MTO standards
- Contact your driving instructor if you have questions prior to your test
- Consider booking an extra in car driving lesson if you want to work on specific driving skills
- Listen carefully to the instructions provided by the examiner
- Use the defensive driving principles you learned in driving school to guide you through your test
- Avoid developing poor driving habits prior to taking your road test
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled test time
- Trust the skills and knowledge that you learned in driving school
Booking your Driving Test
Let us handle the details! CADD can book your test for you. Just let your driving instructor know when you want to take the test and they will let you know which Drive Test centre is best for you in the Toronto, Markham, Scarborough, and Stouffville area.
If you are booking your road test, make sure to check your instructor's availability for the day of if you require an extra lesson or want to rent a driving instruction vehicle for the test. To book with CADD, call (416) 642-8549* or contact us online.
When you book your test you'll need:
- Your provincial driving licence
- Your driver training course completion date (full course)
- A method of payment (debit or credit card)
- A list of preferred dates and times to take the test
If you need to cancel your road test, you will need to do so 48 hours prior to your road test time. The Practical test can be rearranged by us at any time. Or if you prefer, you can book your own Practical Test directly with the Drive Test by calling 1888-570-6110 or (416) 325-8580, or on-line at www.drivetest.ca.